Thursday, October 16, 2008

A basket full of memories

My boys LOVE Halloween.  LOVE IT!  I would even go so far as to say it ranks as one of their favorite holidays.

Why? Because they get to dress up in a costume.

They start planning the costume about July.  That is how much thought goes into this process.

It is hilarious.

And every year is the same.  They tell me that I MUST order them the MOST expensive costume imaginable off of the internet so that THEY will be the coolest kid alive. If I don't they just won't survive.  I say no and life is traumatic for a few days with begging and pleading and bargain making.  But none of that works so they go about trying to figure out what to do instead.

OHHHHHH CREATIVITY!!!  Who would have guessed?  lol

Sometimes we find old costume parts at the thrift shop.  Fun!  Sometimes we find things to make costumes with.  FUN!  And sometimes we might even splurge and buy a costume piece if it is on SALE and very unique.  Those Germans are really getting into the Halloween idea these days.  And they have much better stuff than we ever think of having .

So, back to my blog title.  Here I sit with a basket full of costumes.  All that the boys have outgrown.  The other day we pulled down the costume bag to see what was inside and let the boys browse through it and we discovered quite a few things that were never going to fit anyone in this house again.  So now, they are waiting to be taken to the thrift shop.

But it is sad.  I look at them and see my baby boy faces smiling with happy delight as they wore those get ups on Halloween and ran around like crazy freaks jacked up on sugar giggling with pure innocent joy.  I know that those times are quickly running out.  And it makes me sad.  I want them to ALWAYS be so easily amused and entertained.  So eager to throw on stupid looking clothes and go have fun.  

The world already has one of mine, cant it just wait a while till it takes the rest?

No comments: